Monday, January 15, 2018

HEARTY WINTER SOUP



Truth be told I made this soup last February;-) The best part was that it was made with leftover veggies in the fridge. It is truly amazing what the home chef can create with "what's in the fridge." I had some homemade chicken stock, purple cabbage, cilantro. A little seasoning with salt & pepper and added noodles! Be embraced by the warmth and love that only homemade soup can impart!

What's in your fridge?

Simple Homemade Chicken Stock

Whole Chicken 3-5 lbs 
onions
carrots
celery
bay leaves
black peppercorns
apple cider vinegar
parsley

Homemade stock is quite simple for the amazing rich yield! Add 4 quarts of water to  your stock pot. Add 2 Tblsp of vinegar to the pot to help obtain nutrients from the bones. Then add chicken pieces. I remove the breasts, thighs & legs and use them for other meals during the week. Cut the remaining parts (wings, backbone, breast bone) into manageable sizes for your pot. Meanwhile chop carrot and celery, quarter the onion, add to the pot. I like the addition of peppercorns and a bay leaf. Bring to a boil on the stove, cover, and simmer for six hours. The stock can also be made in the crockpot overnight if its preferable. I start mine on high for an hour-and-a-half then turn to low for as many hours remain till morning when I can finish. This stock is HOT so I add my parsley when I turn the stove/crock off, allowing it to give its nutrients to the stock for a good twenty minutes. Then it's time to scoop out the bones and veggies, strain. Put some in the fridge and some in the freezer! ENJOY!

NOTE: If it's a smaller chicken I will usually add the legs and thighs so that I have some chicken meat for the soup.

No comments: