Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pancakes!


My relationship with pancakes are a funny story. When I was growing up I dreaded the day that my mom decided to make pancakes--because that meant that my dad wasn't making crepes! Crepes hold a special place in my heart! Top 'em off with butter or just some yogurt, they're delicious and my dad always used to make them on the weekends. Maybe one year ago-things changed. It started with a box of bisquick-but I have graduated to the real recipe. Pancakes are amazing! Just as much as crepes. What was I thinking all those years! This summer I think I've almost more than made up for those years of lost pancakes. Enjoy!

I'm included two recipes-both are amazing! One is buttermilk one is not!
recipes from Meta Given's Modern Encyclopedia of Cooking

Basic Pancakes:

2 C flour
5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 TBLSP sugar
2 eggs
2 C milk
1/3 C melted butter

Beat eggs. Once smooth add milk. Stir in melted butter.
Add flour and stir until perfectly smooth.
In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
Add to milk mixture all at once.
Stir until smooth.
Cook on stove.
Top with butter and syrup!

Buttermilk Cakes:

1 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 C buttermilk
1/4 C butter

Beat egg, stir in buttermilk.
In a separate bowl add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
Add all at once to wet mixture.
Add melted butter.
Let it sit for 5 minutes.
Cook 'em up!

No comments: