Friday, December 16, 2011

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting



Right now I am taking a class called Basic & Classical Cakes...and over the past week and a half I have had my share of cake! I've resorted to splitting a piece with my partner during class just to "test the product." This being said, I brought home three pieces of Black Forest Cake last night. I still have two pieces left!

This cake is a traditional carrot cake topped with handmade marzipan carrots with lots of walnuts inside! Maybe too many. I prefer I much moister carrot cake. I would recommend finding a recipe that includes pineapple. This seems to help keep the cake moist. However I would use the same cream cheese icing. It has orange and lemon rind inside and lots of cream cheese! Absolutely delicious!

Cream Cheese Frosting, yields 2 cakes

1# 8oz Cream Cheese
.5 each Lemon Zest
.5 each Orange Zest
1.5 tsp Vanilla
12oz Butter, soft
12oz Powdered Sugar

Cream the cream cheese in a mixer with a paddle until smooth. There can be NO LUMPS. Then add the zest, vanilla and softened butter. Once this is completely combined add the sugar until incorporated. DO NOT OVER WHIP. This will cause the sugar to start to melt and you will have a mess on your hands!

No comments: